Coping With Anxiety

Dear Readers,
Stanley Island, Vancouver
Mr. Ut and I went away for a vacation in Vancouver, Canada, and we had a wonderful time!
However, since I have been back, I have been struggling with a little more anxiety. That in turn leads to some depression.
In this case, I know some of the reasons why, where as in the past, I was often not able to articulate the causes.

I am having to switch insurance, and going on Medicare plus a supplemental plan. It is very complicated, and will cost quite a bit more than I am currently paying. I feel unsettled. I know I will feel better when I have been to see a doctor and see that all of this will work out.

I also have been watching too much political news, and I am again feeling very anxious at what I have no control over. I want to act when I can, but I know I have no control over most of what is going on.
We walked across this suspension bridge.

It has been very gray here, and I had a bit of a cold which kept me from being as active as I need to be in order to help lessen the feelings of anxiety.

All of these things combined to create some anxious feelings. 
Now I KNOW what helps, but do you think I do that? Not always.

The things that help me are praying for other people suffering, exercise, making dates with friends, deep breathing throughout the day, volunteering, and drinking less coffee. I also know that these things will pass, so I sit with a bit of anxious feelings. 

Why is it so hard to do what we know will help us? There are a billion books written about this, but when it comes right down to it, it's up to me to do what I need to do. This takes work, and there are times I just don't have the energy to do this. 

When that happens, I must be extra careful not to get angry at myself.

Yesterday was extra hard. I posted on Twitter, and the Recovery Posse helped me by supporting me as well as making me laugh. 
I got myself to a meeting, met a friend for coffee, and although I didn't want to, I got to a yoga class.

Hubs was awesome, because he didn't try to fix things. (Well, he did suggest I cut down on caffeine!) He just reassured me all will be well.
Mr. and Mrs. UT

Today I got to my favorite coffee shop where I met my sponsee and wrote this post. Still anxious, but just moving anyway. Yard work, laundry, all keep me grounded.

Still, I feel hopeful. I have had these feelings before, so I am not afraid of them. There are so many beautiful quotes on hope, but this one spoke to me today.

"Wherever my story takes me, however dark and difficult the theme, there is always some hope and redemption, not because readers like happy endings, but because I am an optimist at heart. I know the sun will rise in the morning, that there is a light at the end of every tunnel." Michael Morpurg

Today I pray for all those who are suffering with anxiety and depression. I hope your pain is a bit less today.

With Love,
On Day 1393,
Wendy




Comments

  1. ((hugs)) glad you're taking care of you:)
    jaded
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went for a walk tonight with hubs. That always helps!
      xo

      Delete
  2. Hug
    I often “forget” the things I need to reduce my anxiety. And then it becomes hard to get back into them.
    My number one is abhayanga. I take a few minutes every morning to self massage with warm oil.
    It changes everything.
    I have recently had some big hits and changes. They have shaken me to my core. I didn’t know if I could cope. For days I stressed and worried, but stopped all my small self cares as I worried about someone else.
    Finally I set my alarm early one day and got back to usual routine. It helped so much.
    Big hug from me. Life is hard. But we are living it.
    Love you
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry things have been hard for you, Anne. I used your last line with a friend today. She has struggles, and I said...Life is hard, but you are living it, not escaping."
      Routine really helps me, too, and I think I got out of a routine lately.
      Thank you.
      xo

      Delete
  3. Hi Wendy - I enjoyed this piece. I have been struggling for a few weeks with depression (as usual!) but feel my recovery mojo returning - it always does! Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unsettled. I know that anxiety. I know it well.

    Do you read? The reason I ask is that I have found Pema Chodron (a Buddhist nun) to be so helpful.

    Her book, “The Places That Scare You” helped me so much. It doesn’t prevent anxious moments, but it helps me recognize them, breathe through them. Reminds me they are moments.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris,
      I read it a long time ago, but it's time to pick it back up. You are right. They are just moments in the day, and I have many moments!
      xo

      Delete
  5. I’m so glad you enjoyed Vancouver, it’s where I was born and raised.
    I too have been anxious of late, but also know that I will find my rhythm again.
    Thanks as always for your honesty. xo
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that is a big key, that I know I will get back to "normal".
      Whatever that is!
      xo

      Delete
  6. I've been up and down with anxiety most of the year. Heavy, dark energy. It's so hard at the time to do the things we know will help- requires huge amount of self discipline (always better to develop that muscle before you need it!). I do believe we are bombarded with so much in the way of concerns- it's a crazy time to be living in. All the best to you and Mr. UT! PS Love the quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth! I think much of this stems from feeling less safe in the world. Working on boundaries from news!
      xo

      Delete
    2. That is absolutely vital! I only "peek" at it on the computer. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts