Exploring Life on Day 316

Dear Readers,
Riding City Bikes by the Mississippi

As I think about my life before I started drinking heavily, it was filled with outside fun. I never thought twice about going for a long bike ride, camping, skiing, and just being outside.
(Granted I was younger!)

As I started to internalize stress, and my drinking increased, my fun factor was shrinking.
Instead of going outside, I went to bars.
Instead of going for a hike on Sunday, I would go to a late lunch with my hubby just to get a drink.
Or several.
We started to fight over how much I was drinking on the weekends. I wanted a drink even before I had wine with dinner. I had to have it.
If I couldn't get it, I'd pout.
What happened to the fun-loving outside girl I knew?

Now I am exploring life again.
It might not be as fast or hard as when I was younger, but I am learning to be true to myself.
There is such freedom in this.

Last weekend, we rented green city bikes and rode by the Mississippi River.
Donut Love!
We walked over bridges.
We stopped at a local donut shop.

These are the things that cheer me, that make life full. 
Drinking never filled my soul the way this simple Sunday did.


To All My Friends in Recovery: Thank you.
xo

Comments

  1. I have been reading your blog for awhile but haven't yet commented until now. I 100% relate to the fun factor being replaced by drinking. Now that I'm over four months sober, that fun factor has resurfaced and I honestly can't get enough of life now.

    I read your posts and admire your positive outlook on life, how peaceful and content you sound. I long to be that way and your blog definitely helps me when I'm feeling low, so thanks.

    I am a current public school teacher also in the US. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Learning,
      Teaching is hard.
      It's beautiful, but stressful.
      I very glad you are finding true fun in your life!
      xo

      Delete
  2. Yes. Fill your soul. Don't waste another second.
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are rocking this sober thing. you go girl
    hugs
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a snazzy bike :-) I know what you mean...I began to retreat inside, and drink alone, and not take in all the beautiful things going on outside! Wow, 316 (317) days now! Awesome! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori!
      This is a bike you rent from the city. It's really cool!
      xo

      Delete
  5. Love your blog. Found you through sober mummy. So many inspiring stories xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you found me!
      I've seen your replies to people!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely and happy post. And those donuts look really yummy.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry!
      I love donuts!
      Most if the time I am happy!
      I have a few days I'm not, but it's better this way than the other way!
      xo

      Delete
  7. Sitting in a coffee shop watching the world go by seems so much fun now which is so far removed from where I once was.... sitting in a bar putting the world to rights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would always get more and more depressed sitting in the bars, and talking endlessly on the same things!!
      Thank you, Graham!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Hi Anne!
      Your comment spurred me on to write a post!
      Hugs!
      xo
      Wendy

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts