How to Vacation Sober and Have Fun!

Dear Readers,
Hubs and I will be going on a vacation soon, to Arizona, where the sun is shining and warm!
The first time I went on a sober vacation was several years ago, during one of my first attempts to stop drinking.
I pouted for almost the whole time.
At least I pouted all through any dinner we had, even though my husband didn't drink to support me.
I felt very sorry for myself. 
This, of course, wasn't all that fun for hubs or me.
I simply couldn't imagine how I could be sober and still have a good time.
What would we do at the pool?
What would we do after a hike?
What would we drink while golfing?
How could we have dinner and not drink?

This time around, I have been sober much longer.
I am much more comfortable with my sobriety.
And this is what I know will happen on this vacation...

I will be ready to go in morning! (Well,my morning starts at 9 am!)
I won't wake up hungover and have headaches.
I know I'll have fun between the sheets! *wink*
I know having a sweet treat and coffee at the end of dinner is very satisfying.
I know I will be focused on what I am doing, not focused on finding a drink.
I know I will have fun dancing sober.
I know driving a golf cart is fun sober! It's just fun! Not to mention I won't crash it!
I know hiking in the beautiful country is fun sober.

I do not ever want to wreck another vacation by feeling sorry for myself.
The sun, reading, golfing, hiking, a massage, dancing and beautiful dinners outside will be relaxing all on their own. No drinking needed.

With A Suitcase or Two,
On Day 559,
Wendy

Comments

  1. have a brilliant holiday, Wendy! you are going into it with far more positive a mind set than I went into my recent holiday, and I think that's a really good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Prim!
      It helps that I am only going with hubs, not a lot of people who drink.
      xo

      Delete
  2. Sounds wonderful - have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy! I just know you'll have fun in Arizona. Being able to get out of your own way and enjoy yourself is wonderful. I know it wasn't easy for you to get here, and I remember that when I see your shining happy posts. Thanks for being such an inspiration! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thirsty!
      Thank you so much for your support!
      I am just deciding to be more positive! I do have my down days, but I refuse to let them rule my life!!
      xo

      Delete
  4. Have a great time Wendy. Flossie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a lovely time Wendy! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure am looking forward to seeing the sun!!
      Thank you, Lou!
      xo

      Delete
  6. It sounds wonderful! Hope you have a great time Wendy! I have done 2 holidays sober now, a week in the country over Christmas at my childhood home, and a week here and there at my in-laws beach house an hour and a half away. I was fine each time. The real test for me will be when we go to Queensland (we go every year for 10-14 days) I haven't managed that yet but I am confident this will be my year. A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie!
      It will be your year!
      You have grown so much!
      xo

      Delete
  7. "I know I will be focused on what I am doing, not focused on finding a drink."

    This exactly. I'm enjoying our little weekend runs we do with our kiddos so much more, because I don't have to think about when I can drink.

    Enjoy your trip!

    Wendy P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy!
      I love our name!
      I'm so glad you are having fun, too!
      xo

      Delete
  8. I can't imagine you pouting.
    But I know what you mean. How could o stay on a hotel without a drink? Or fly in a plane?

    Those concerns sound so unreasonable now. But you have to try it to see the absolute awesomeness sober vacations are.
    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne!
      Oh yes, I can pout!
      But not anymore!
      Thank you!
      xo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts