Helen Keller and Hope


Dear Readers,
I am lucky to live in a state with so much natural beauty.
It surrounds me. 
When I go for walks, I have a world of green at my feet. 
I always find new treasures.
Like a cool log bridge!
What you don't see in these photos is my hubs holding my hand most of the way while I am crossing!

I have been reading essays by Helen Keller and I am amazed. I am currently reading The World I LIve In & Optimism.
This woman who could not see or hear as we do, is inspiring me like no other writer.

Besides my deafness, I also only have one eye.
And that eye has a cataract with light sensitivity.
This makes driving extremely hard, and I now only go around the city in daytime with sunglasses and a hat  on.

At times I can feel very sorry for myself about my medical issues as well as my sobriety.
Reading Helen's essays on optimism is teaching me a new perspective. She learned to think completely differently, meeting life from a place of hope, not from a place of despair. From a place of richness, not from a place of lack.

"Most people measure their happiness in terms of physical pleasure and material possession. Could they win some visible goal which they have set on the horizon, how happy they could be! Lacking this gift or circumstance, they would be miserable. If happiness is to be so measured, I who cannot hear or see have every reason to sit in a corner with folded hands and weep. If I am happy in spite of my deprivations, if my happiness is so deep that it is a faith, so thoughtful that it becomes a philosophy of life, - if in short, I am an optimist, my testimony to the creed of optimism is worth hearing."

I cannot read these words and not be moved.
How can I use what I read and apply them to my life?
I am so lucky to have been born during an age where an operation helped me hear words again!
I am lucky I have one eye and that can see the sky and trees around me!

How can I not look at my sobriety and be joyful about all it has given me? 
And it has!

My own self-talk is powerful. By being aware of what I say to myself, I can begin to change it.
I can use the language of hope and courage.
Of love, of faith.

I crossed the bridge with help, courage, and faith.
If I have that, how can I fall?

With Love,
On Day 397,
Wendy

Comments

  1. My heart fills. That is so beautiful. I have always thought of Helen Keller and how she overcame so much to love so well. Those kinds on inspiring people were part of that voice that called to me to stop drinking and start living. To remember that there is beauty all around me, and a lifetime of joy in a hug from my children or a delicious cup of coffee. I just have to notice it.

    Don't worry about falling. You have many of us with you to help you up.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I am trying to remember is to just be aware of what I am saying, so then I can see how to change my perception.
      Thank you, Anne!
      xo

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Wendy :) And what an awesome bridge! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a cool place. We are so lucky to live in this state!
      xo

      Delete
  3. What an amazing message of hope and beauty and faith in ourselves! I often think of how I worry about my weight when I have a son who will never drive because of his vision. How petty and small I am to worry about such trivial things!

    A beautiful post my friend.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I am focused on loving all that I have!
      Thank you, Sherry!!
      xo

      Delete
  4. You are amazing. You give hope, and show that life can indeed be beautiful no matter what. As always! And one more thing, Wendy, I noticed a while ago that you make great photos. I personally would love seeing more of your photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Time,
      I do find it creative to take photos! I only use my iPhone camera.
      Thank you for encouraging me to take more!!
      xo

      Delete
  5. That bridge is so cool. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to cross it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, you are not only inspiring but ADORABLE!! eloquent, too. It only takes the thought of Helen Keller and her struggles to remind me that my annoyances ate trivial. That bridge looks like a spine! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori!
      You are making my head big!
      Thank you!
      I found out later they call this Bone Bridge!
      xo

      Delete
  7. Great post!
    You are so inspiring Wendy and I also love your photo shots too!
    With help, courage and faith....I believe we can do anything we put our minds to....especially the staying sober part of life. It's been a struggle at day 280 for me, but I'm learning to find these 3 things and plan on using them daily...especially the help part. It's sometimes tough.
    hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sober Mommy,
      I am sorry to hear you are struggling.
      If you can just focus on how much better things are not drinking.
      Maybe just on getting to the end of the day.
      Find anything that helps.
      xo
      Wendy

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts