Drunk Driving In the US

Dear Readers,
I am taking a different path today on this post.
I love reading Lucy's blog, "A Hangover Free Life". She posts about the effects of alcohol on public health in the UK.

I have never gotten a DUI, but I have driven drunk. 
According to Mother's Against Drunk Driving (MADD), most people drive drunk at least 80 times before they are "caught".

We have cut down the rate of drunk driving here, but we have a long way to go.
I found a great site that shows this with graphics, called the "Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility".
These statistics show we have reduced deaths from drunk driving 36% from 1991 to 2013, but everyday, 28 people still die due to drunk driving crashes in the US.

It doesn't take much to be over the legal limit for driving. The limit in my state is .08. 
It only takes 1 or 2 "standard" drinks for a small women to be at or over the limit.
However, restaurants and bars serve way larger glasses of wine than the standard 5 ounces.
On a site called "B.R.A.D", there is a chart showing Blood Alcohol concentration (BAC) and drinks. 

It would mean a huge change in our way of thinking to stop people from driving drunk.
We need to encourage people to have a sober driver or take a cab home. 
We also need to encourage people to see there are other ways to celebrate life without drinking.

I will say this.
I drove drunk many times.
When I was drinking, it was all about the drinking.
I knew I had too much, but I couldn't stop.
This is still painful to think about, but it is something I must face.
NOT to shame myself, but to remember. To learn.
I am ever so grateful I never hurt anyone, never hurt myself, or destroyed property.
Very grateful.

Comments

  1. Shamefully, I've done it too. Scary. I agree that I am lucky nothing bad ever happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear TMSN,
    I think most people who drink, even normies, have driven drunk. They don't always know it.
    It doesn't take much to be over the limit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, have done it myself , sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked this post.
      I might do more information ones like it.

      Delete
  4. Done it as well. In fact I even remember driving once in the middle of the road and thinking that I need to pull into my lane. Awful. Never ever again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never again is a good mantra for me, too!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Great post; I, too love reading Lucy's blog and I'm floored by the double standards regarding alcohol. We're told not to drink and drive but, as you say the wine glasses are much too large! On TV we're told you'll be beautiful and have adventures and lots of sex if you drink their product! But when someone becomes addicted, or an innocent person is harmed, or worse, because of alcohol then it's a different story. Sorry for my rant, I just feel there are some really screwed-up views of alcohol. Lori K xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lori,
      If we really wanted to, we could reduce harmful drinking habits like we did smoking.
      You are so right.
      Rant away!!

      Delete
  6. Wow, that is powerful and hits home! Thanks for posting, and thanks for visiting my blog - nice to meet you :). I look forward to looking over your older posts! Have a great evening.

    Hugs,

    SR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear SR,
    I am just following TMSN around LOL!
    There are so many of us wanting to be and stay sober!
    Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I thought I was following YOU around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was arrested last year for driving drunk, the officer gave me several field tests that made me uncomfortable. It was not that I had been drinking, I was tired from a long day at work and those balance tests were really challenging. He falsely arrested me and luckily my lawyer was able to prove my case or I was in deep trouble.

    Modesto Culbertson @ D & Z Law Group

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea that the average person gets behind the wheel 80 times before getting caught. That really was quite a shocking revelation for me. I think once someone does it a few times they feel bulletproof to getting caught. Luckily you didn't hurt anyone and hopefully your words will get others to wake up and stop risking their lives on the road.

    Stephanie Waters @ Chastaine Law

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have unfortunately been a drunk driver over five hundred times in my life. I had a serious problem with alcohol but I was very lucky and never hurt myself or others. Thankfully, I had a close call seven years ago and I quit. I know how much it hurts, thank you for this information and for staying sober.

    Eliseo Weinstein @ JR's Bail Bonds

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts