Inner Strength

Dear Readers,
In my meeting today, there were some hard, sad stories to listen to.
These were people in pain.
And yet, I was reminded of the strength of these same people.
They found the courage to come to a meeting, to go back into treatment, to keep reaching out for help.
They know there is a better way, and even in face of defeat, they try again and again.

Their stories made me listen.
(I didn't talk for once.)
These are good, regular people. People like me. People who have an addiction.
I listened to their pain, and it reminded me that I don't want to go back to that pain.

I also listened to other people who have found joy.
They reminded me of why I want to keep going.

All of their stories reminded me that I have a deep inner strength.
I can use it to get up and face my day, even being sick or tired.
It's one I can use for good.
I can use it to choose kindness and love.
I can call on this strength if I am quiet, listen, and ask for that help and guidance.
Some people would call this God.
Some people would call this self-love.
But whatever you call it, we all have it.

For the first time, I reached out and gave a girl who was in pain my phone number.
It felt good.

Comments

  1. Love this. And I love your writing style - like Hemingway, only sober!!

    Hugs,

    SR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear SR.,
      You are very kind!!!
      Thank you for your support!
      Peace and Hugs!

      Delete
  2. This resonates with me today....
    I had the thought earlier today about how strong I can be, how 'owning' whats happened for me and being my true self can be wonderful and not shameful.

    I don't think I have ever felt like that in my life before.

    Thank you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think I am weaker than I really am.
      As I listened, I realized how much resiliency we have.
      Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Awesome you r a rockstar
    hugs
    lisa
    www.thecword-compassion.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I didn't realize you were attending meetings. Sounds like it is a positive experience for you and good for you for reaching out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing everything I can, because I was really having a hard time. I also didn't want this to be an AA blog, or a WFS blog, but just my journey. And blogging is a beautiful way to reach out and give and get support!

      Delete
  5. That's true about not wanting to feel the pain. Lovely of you to give your number to help someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear PDTG,
      Isn't it true about the pain?
      I never want to feel the icky things ever again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts